Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Croc Farm!


This past Sunday we took a trip out to the Crocodile Farm...what an experience! In addition to seeing lots of cool animals, I think we may have been one of the main attractions with all of our little blonde, blue eyed kids! The girls were like movie stars....people kept coming up to them and taking their picture, stroking their heads, and wanting to be in pictures with them! Rick and I wonder what they do with the picture of them and some cute kid(s) that they don't know when they get home?!?!?! We were pretty much the only westerners there (the place is a bit far out from the city and not as many tourists go there) which I'm guessing is why we drew so much attention.

In addition to us providing some entertainment, the Croc Farm itself was pretty cool! They had a crocodile wrestling show, complete with guys putting their hands and yes, heads, into the crocodiles' mouths, and elephant show where the elephants were skateboarding, walking on a tight wire, painting, driving a cart thingy, and coming right up to the stands and taking money from your hand with their trunks (they suck up folded bills like a vacuum cleaner and hand them right to their trainers - neat!) The kids (except Nate, who was scared) got pictures with the elephants and got to pet them. And speaking of pictures, you'll also see one below of Rick with a crocodile! It freaked the kids out to see Daddy right there with one! The place was also pretty much a zoo - but not like any zoo in the US. I felt bad for the animals because the cages were small and not always in the best of shape, but I have to say, I've never been so close to a tiger that I could put my hand into the cage and pet it, if I wanted to (and I didn't!) The kids held the hand of a friendly monkey who was reaching through the bars shaking hands with everyone, and Leah pet a racoon, too. Believe me, lots and lots of Purell hand sanitizer was used that day!!!




3 comments:

kym said...

That is some crazy stuff!
Hey, if you ever figure out what the locals do with pictures of themselves with your kids let us know.

Cheryl said...

Man, those farm employees are crazy!! That's got to be one dangerous job, eh? Glad you're all having fun!!

LeeAnn said...

Looking at these pics, I was thinking...Your family album is going to be sooo much different than 99.99% of anyone else's! That's so cool!